Thursday, October 21, 2010

Entry #8 - Mother To Son .

        I appreciate the fact that Langston Hughes made a clear focus in this poem, Mother to Son. His main focus was " life for me ain't been no crystal stair" He means my life hasn't been perfect, there has been some bumps on the way. I like the fact that instead of saying it like how I did above, he made a metaphor out of it. It makes the reader think/ dig deeper, it's better than just telling the readers exactly what he means.

  I like that he added little metaphors after he said "life for me ain't been no crystal stair" it supports the his focus. For example, he said : "And splinters , and boards torn up , and places with no carpet on the floor" This poem is like an essay, it has its main idea, then it has three supporting body paragraphs, then a conclusion.

        I also like that Langston Hughes didn't make his poem the type of poem that ryhmes. It shows to people that a poem doesn't need to ryhme to be good or meaningful. I also like the accent the mother has, and how he incorporated it into the poem so beautifuly that it makes the poem really personal. And I like that he divided the poem into short sentences , it allows the readers to read it some sort of way , its ethier you read it fast or slow.

        I also like the fact that he made the poem sound like the mother is talking directly to her son. For example, she said : " well, son , I'll tell you ... So boy, don't you turn back. Don't sit down on the steps. 'Cause you find it's kinder hard. Don't you fall now" I love that she said " Don't you fall NOW" because it's like she's saying you traveled along, tough way through splinters, torn up boards , and tacks. You can't quit now. The mother is givinng her son advice about life, she's saying dont give up and don't quit in life.
       

1 comment:

  1. i actually like how you found a picture of a stair to represent what the mother is telling her son !

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive