Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Reading response on The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

             I'm reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. It's a novel about a Native American teenager that wants to do something differently with his life, so he goes to an off-reservation school called Reardan and he has trouble fitting in with his Indian heritage. But since he went to Reardan he has changed a lot.       
               One thing I've noticed so far that shows that Juniors growing up is the fact that he wants a good future ahead of him, and he has more responsibilities. "Three times, I had to walk the whole way. Twenty -two miles. I got blisters each time." (pg.87) Now that he has grown up his father stopped driving him to school everyday, so sometimes Junior walks 22 miles to get to school and to get home from school.
                      
                Another thing that shows Juniors growing up is that he went to a new school. A new school opens  the doors of more responsibilities and more independence. "I want to go to Reardan," he said "No, if I don't go now, I never will. I have to do it now." (pg.46)Junior was determined to have a good education and be more successful so he went to a white school - Reardan. Even though he was afraid of the white people he still went ; that shows that he's changing because he's braver now than before.
                       
                  Another thing I've noticed that shows that Juniors growing up is that he stands up for himself now, not all the time but more than before. Before he would depend on Rowdy to solve all his problems. Rowdy would protect him any time someone tries to beat him up and he would defend him. Since that fight he had with Rowdy he's on his own and honestly I think he's doing pretty good on his own, he's becoming a more independent young man. "Grandma, I punched this big guy in the face because he was bullying me." (pg.68) I think it was good that they had fought because if they hadn't, Junior wouldn't be who he is today.

                 These are just a few signs that shows that Juniors growing up. I'm only half way through the book but he's already changing, he's an independent young man now and I can't wait until I finish the rest of the book. This book is amazing and it connects with me so much, mostly on how his culture is affecting him and his childhood, forcing him to grow up at a young age.

1 comment:

  1. tyhgfdgvrdfhbtyjyutyjhyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyhyh

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive